Interested in using your fundraising skills and passion for natural areas to help NICHES? Apply to join our Staff!
NICHES Land Trust
Development Coordinator Job Description
About the organization
NICHES Land Trust is a 501 c 3 non-profit agency with headquarters in Lafayette, Indiana. NICHES is a member-based organization devoted to high-quality stewardship that works with diverse stakeholders to implement our mission.
The mission of NICHES Land Trust is to protect, restore and sustain Northern Indiana’s ecosystems by providing habitat for native species and offering natural places for the education, appreciation, and enjoyment of current and future generations. NICHES stewards 4,810 active acres and is on track to steward 8,000 acres by 2030. NICHES has a 13 county service area centered around Tippecanoe County. NICHES has 5 full-time and 1 part-time staff. More details on our website: NichesLandTrust.org
The Development Coordinator (DC) is responsible for coordinating all fundraising activities supporting NICHES Land Trust’s mission, with the goal of increasing overall annual contributions and grant funding to meet or exceed the annual budget and strategic objectives. The DC is additionally responsible for coordinating the Development Committee along with the committee chair and will maintain engagement with the Board of Directors, foundations, donors, businesses, and volunteers. The DC functions as the primary major and planned gifts fundraiser, grant writer, and donor database manager. The DC will also participate in the planning and implementation of marketing and outreach to support all fundraising efforts.
Many duties will be delegated to and/or shared by other staff and Board or Development Committee members, and close coordination is required with the Executive Director (ED). The Executive Director supervises this position.
This salaried position is full-time 40 hours/ week with a base salary of $42-45,000/year. NICHES accrues vacation, sick, and retirement benefits for full-time employees. Position mostly works Monday-Friday with some special events on weekends. Employees can mostly work from home but some in-office work is required.
Management and Planning (25%)
- Implement and update a long-term fundraising plan aligned with the NICHES’ mission and strategic plan
- Set goals and monitor progress for all development programs including major gifts, planned giving, business supporters, foundations, and special appeals
- Maintain donor database for tracking prospects, pledges, gifts, grants, and correspondence with constituents
- Manage online giving systems, online information collection systems, and donor database
- Participate with the staff and Board in the periodic revision of the Strategic Plan and ensure that strategic benchmarks are met
- Develop metrics, with the ED, for tracking progress towards short and long-term fundraising goals; provide the ED, Development Committee, and Board with ongoing updates about all fundraising activities
- Employ best practices and maintain the highest ethical standards in all aspects of NICHES fundraising
Major and Planned Gifts (50%)
- Oversee cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of all major donors in conjunction with ED
- Develop and implement methods to attract new donor prospects
- Identify, manage, and solicit a portfolio of prospective major donors, including new prospects and potential upgrades among existing donors
- Develop planned giving program, promote planned giving throughout NICHES communications, and cultivate individual prospects for planned gifts
- Acquire network of contacts to help increase NICHES presence in targeted regions and identify new supporters and potential major donors
Grant Writing (15%)
- Coordinate the grant seeking process, write proposals, and steward funders
- Research and identify new foundation funding prospects
Professional growth (10%)
- Seek and take opportunities that grow and enhance understanding and skills of the position
- Develop/ enhance understanding of NICHES work and strategies to allow for informed conversations about the organization
- Work with Volunteer and Outreach Coordinator (VOC) to administer, develop and update NICHES website including efficient systems for online giving
- Assist the VOC with the production of media materials for print and online distribution.
Skills and Qualifications
Passion for conservation and the mission, goals, and values of NICHES Land Trust
Outgoing and friendly personality with the ability to meet new people easily and quickly earn their confidence, including staff, Board Members, donors, government agency and private foundation staff and media
Demonstrated ability to work with diverse stakeholders
Knowledge of fundraising software Raiser's Edge and other support tools
Desire to work in a highly collaborative team-based environment
Excellent interpersonal skills
Self-directed, assertive, with high levels of energy and initiative
Strong skills in written and oral communications
Strong organizational skills and time management, ability to manage multiple priorities and activities, delegate effectively, and motivate others
Knowledge of best practices and emerging trends in development work
Demonstrated proficiency at fundraising, budgeting, financial management, and project management
Ability to utilize the organization’s resources efficiently and promote growth
Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Onedrive